Re: asynchronous process problem

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 01:03:50PM -0500, John E. Davis wrote:
> Guenter Milde <g.milde@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > variable teststring = "a";
> > loop(10)
> >   teststring += teststring;
> > send_process (AShell_Id, "echo "+ teststring + "bbbb\n");
> > % send the newline again, as it gets clipped
> > send_process (AShell_Id, "\n");
> >

> >Have a look at the end of the line to see (or not see) the "b"-s
> >(I don't).
>
> I do not see the "b"s if my shell is tcsh, but I do see them if the
> shell is bash.

This is strange.

I have an unpatched Jed Version: 0.99.16 S-Lang Version: 1.4.9 here on a
Debian-Linux sarge with bash and I do not get the b-s.
The echoed string is only 4090 characters long, the other characters
get lost.

What makes the problem worse is, that sending the string in pieces
doesnot help, if there is not enough time for the process to process it.
(And what is enough depends strongly on the process and a set of unknowns.)

> The stack overflow problem is occuring because output_test is
> returning a value, which it should not.

Sorry, the posted test was a quick hack from my version which depended on
some of my extension modes...

G.Milde at web.de