Re: asynchronous process problem

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 01:03:50PM -0500, John E. Davis wrote:
> I do not see the "b"s if my shell is tcsh, but I do see them if the
> shell is bash.

Probably a tcsh problem. When I start tcsh in ashell and then type "echo"
and paste the aaa....bbb, I get a message "Word too long".

Reading the Emacs lisp reference, it seems there are differences and
similarities between Emacs' and JED's process support:

,----
`----

,----
|    The output to the function may come in chunks of any size.  A program
| that produces the same output twice in a row may send it as one batch of
| 200 characters one time, and five batches of 40 characters the next.  If
| the filter looks for certain text strings in the subprocess output, make
| sure to handle the case where one of these strings is split across two
| or more batches of output.
`----

BTW in Emacs you can choose between pipes and ptys - ispell.el uses pipes
by default. Are ptys better than pipes?