Re: asynchronous process problem

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 10:06:58AM +0100, Paul Boekholt wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 04:54:43PM -0500, John E. Davis wrote:

> I would expect that process output coming in chunks would also be a
> problem with the JMR flyspell_region (that sends ispell the text one line
> at a time), when there are two misspellings in a line I would expect the
> second one to remain unnoticed. This is not so. Also, when I process the
> text quoted above with the Dutch dictionary with the "block"
> flyspell_region, everything becomes red. Apparently ispell's output
> *does* come in one line per chunk, *except* when there is a lot of input.

The problem is, you never know how much comes at a time, especially if
ispell has a lot to do (more than one misspelling, large personal
dictionary, ...) and/or there is a heavy workload on the machine.

What is worse, the split can occure in the midst of a suggestion, say.
This is why my "asynchroneous" ispell did collect output in a string
variable and checked for a "end of output signature" (output ending with
"\n\n") before processing. I think the method can be used for ispell and
flyspell alike.

G.Milde at web.de