Re: asynchronous process problem

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 04:54:43PM -0500, John E. Davis wrote:
> This is the nature of the way pipes work.  Jed reads everything that
> is in the pipe, calls the output function and moves on.  If you expect
> that the output should be \n terminated, then your output hook will
> have to perform this final assembly operation.  Keep in mind that the
> function may be called with several lines of output with the last line
> incomplete.
I agree with what Günter said:

 The output coming in pieces is no problem as long as I simply insert it.
 It becomes a problem when I want to process it (as e.g. with ispell
 output) or pretty print using a filter (adding some comment or so).

I would expect that process output coming in chunks would also be a
problem with the JMR flyspell_region (that sends ispell the text one line
at a time), when there are two misspellings in a line I would expect the
second one to remain unnoticed. This is not so. Also, when I process the
text quoted above with the Dutch dictionary with the "block"
flyspell_region, everything becomes red. Apparently ispell's output
*does* come in one line per chunk, *except* when there is a lot of input.