filter buffer and/or region

I'm doing a let of editing where I need to do some complex regex
search and replacing.  'replace_cmd()' is too limited for what I need
to do.

I'm curious, is there some way to run a buffer or region through an
external filter (sed/awk/perl/etc...) and have the transformation take
place inline?

Ex, mark a region -> filter region -> replace original w/new

As always, thanks in advance...

        --Jerry

--
Open-Source software isn't a matter of life or death...
...It's much more important than that!