Re: asynchronous process problem

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 04:58:19PM -0500, John E. Davis wrote:
> When the signal handler gets called, jed switches to the buffer
> associated with the process.  In this case, that buffer is testbuf.
> Then after the signal handler is called, jed will change the buffer
> back to the original buffer.

Well, when the dust is settled the active buffer is testbuf, so the
kind of buffer changes you mean must be more like setbufs than
sw2bufs.  Otherwise I could sw2buf all I want in the signal handler
and still find myself back in the original buffer.

> What is desired result of your signal handler?  Is it to have a new
> window opened?

Yes.

> Do you want that window to get "focus" after the
> signal handler returns?

Yes.

>  Or (better in my opinion), open another window with focus in the
> window prior to the execution of the signal handler?

That's the way emacs' man pager works in the default "friendly"
setting, but since I prefer the window to be maximized it has to have
focus as well - and anyway when I open a manpage I usually want to
browse it, so opening it in a non-active window seems less desirable
to me.  This seems to correspond to the "bully" setting in Emacs'
Man-notify-method.

In the case of server.sl, having the new window active is compatible
with Emacs' server.el and also the most sensible option, at least when
using server.sl to send JED requests from some other interactive
program, such as Mutt.  I agree that when you use an asynchronous
process to pop up reminders, talk requests, compilation error messages
etc, the new window should not become active, but these are two cases
where I *request* a window to pop up.

I should mention that hyperman.sl may go into the Debian jed-extra
package. Since calling man asynchronously has no real benefits (except
on really slow computers), I might as well hack it out again.  For
opening remote files, it would still make sense to call wget
asynchronously.  Do you think a remote file should be opened in a
non-focussed pop-up window?  How does ange-ftp do this?  I don't see a
ange-ftp-notify-method variable.