Re: ispell problems

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 03:13:36PM +0100, Morten Bo Johansen wrote:

> Here's my recommendation for installing jed and third party library
> files
>
> 1) set the environment variable JED_ROOT to $HOME/.jed
>    When you install jed with "make install", all the *.sl files
>    under the ../lib subdirectory will be installed under
>    $HOME/.jed/lib.

> Having the libraries under $HOME is just for convenience, so you don't
> need superuser privileges for working with them.

I object to this idea, as I prefer never to change the distributed files.
Setting up a separate directory for contributions allows to copy files
there and change them there (this saves your changes from being
overwritten with the next upgrade and also makes it clear, which files
are changed and which are original). If you want to separate foreign
contribs from your own creations, set up one more slang-library as
described below.

> 3) Create a subdirectory $JED_ROOT/contrib
>
> 4) Copy whatever third party jed library files you're interested in, such
>    as the ones from the Jed Modes Repository into $JED_ROOT/contrib
>
> 5) Edit your $HOME/.jedrc to contain these lines

   set_jed_library_path (path_concat(JED_ROOT, "contrib") + "," +
                         get_jed_library_path ());

> Jed will now look in both $JED_ROOT/lib and $JED_ROOT/contrib for its
> function libraries

My preferred method is to leave this setup to the home-lib mode from
jedmodes (it will add a Jed_Site_Library and a Jed_Home_Library to the
jed-library-path when they exist and do some more initializing).
See the USAGE instructions in the source.

G.Milde at web.de