Re: ispell problems

* Morten Bo Johansen <mojo@xxxxxxxxx> [03-17-04 09:26]:

> Here's my recommendation for installing jed and third party library
> files, if nothing else at least perhaps it will contribute to confusing
> you even more ;-)
>
> 1) set the environment variable JED_ROOT to $HOME/.jed
>    When you install jed with "make install", all the *.sl files
>    under the ../lib subdirectory will be installed under
>    $HOME/.jed/lib.
>
>    Remember to reload your .bashrc for the environment variable to take
>    effect. Type "echo $JED_ROOT" to see that it is ok.
>
> 2) Compile and install Jed.
>
> 3) Create a subdirectory $JED_ROOT/contrib
>
> 4) Copy whatever third party jed library files you're interested in, such
>    as the ones from the Jed Modes Repository into $JED_ROOT/contrib
>
> 5) Edit your $HOME/.jedrc to contain these lines
>
>    set_jed_library_path (JED_ROOT + "/contrib" + "," +
>                          get_jed_library_path ());
>
> Jed will now look in both $JED_ROOT/lib and $JED_ROOT/contrib for its
> function libraries and load e.g. the ispell.sl in the /contrib directory
> instead of the one in the /lib directory, and this way you have the
> original ones that are distributed with Jed nicely separated from the
> contributed ones so they won't get overwritten when upgrading etc. Having
> the libraries under $HOME is just for convenience, so you don't need
> superuser privileges for working with them.

Thanks, your suggestions are appreciated.  If I must reinstall again,
I will try your methods.  I *do* backup files before overwriting with
an install which may have unknown results, and most with expected
known results.  I have access to every file that I have replaced
and/or upgraded.

thanks again,
HOG # US1244711