Re: New Jed Modes

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 02:39:03AM -0500, John E. Davis wrote:
> Josh Guilfoyle <jasta@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I have queued up several features which I would love to see incorporated
> > in the main distribution.  Please consider the following features for the
> > next release:
>
> I looked at some of your modes and I have a few comments/questions.
>
> First I want to say that I like the way that you have organized your
> prefs.sl.  It is very clean.  I would like to reconsider it for the
> next major release. I would rather not use it for a minor release.

Thank you :)

> >    Also rewrote c_comment_column() (default bound to \e; in emacs mode) so
> >    that it works generically for all modes as well as fixed irritating bugs
> >    with its implementation.  Added a feature for calculating the nearest
> >    offset of tabstop closest to but beyond JED_COMMENT_COLUMN when the
> >    comment may not be placed at that exact column.
>
> I would like to include your new version of this for the upcoming
> release.  However, what irritating bugs did you find in the existing
> c-mode specific version?

It automatically added `cend' even when the original command didn't have it.
So things like:

foo;                                 /* foo bar
                                      * baz */

Would become:

foo;                                   /* foo bar */
                                      * baz */

I didn't try to handle multi-line comments, but instead I just leave the
comment as is if `cbeg' is found.

> Also, it seems to me that if the line already has a comment in the
> middle such as
>
>    x=1; /* comment */ y = 2;
>
> then another comment should be appended to the line, instead of moving
> the first one out to the end of the line.

Yeah, you're right.  This was unintentional behaviour of my rewrite.

--
Josh Guilfoyle
http://jasta.gotlinux.org/