Re: New Jed Modes

Josh Guilfoyle <jasta@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>I have queued up several features which I would love to see incorporated in
>the main distribution.  Please consider the following features for the next
>release:

I looked at some of your modes and I have a few comments/questions.

First I want to say that I like the way that you have organized your
prefs.sl.  It is very clean.  I would like to reconsider it for the
next major release. I would rather not use it for a minor release.

> * comments.sl extensions:
>
>    Added a "cmid" field through an extended wrapped interface
>    (set_comment_infoex) and a function which adds horizontal "separators"
>    using the local mode's comment specifier.  For example, when calling
>    comment_separator() from within C mode a bar resembling /*****/ will be
>    constructed while in SLang mode, the bar would resemble %%%%%%%.  The bar
>    is always carried out to WRAP_COLUMN - 1.

This is also an extension that I would like to use in the next major
release.

>    Also rewrote c_comment_column() (default bound to \e; in emacs mode) so
>    that it works generically for all modes as well as fixed irritating bugs
>    with its implementation.  Added a feature for calculating the nearest
>    offset of tabstop closest to but beyond JED_COMMENT_COLUMN when the
>    comment may not be placed at that exact column.

I would like to include your new version of this for the upcoming
release.  However, what irritating bugs did you find in the existing
c-mode specific version?

Also, it seems to me that if the line already has a comment in the
middle such as

   x=1; /* comment */ y = 2;

then another comment should be appended to the line, instead of moving
the first one out to the end of the line.

> * make.sl:
>
>    A mode that I believe is on JMR (I'm probably wrong, though) that I feel
>    should be included with the standard distribution.  It is extremely useful
>    and immediately relevant to programming with C and other compiled
>    languages.  I have made some minor extensions which I would like considered
>    in addition to the original mode.

I also plan to include this.  However, I made some changes to it
including the removal of $0 and $1 from the function definitions in
favor of real global variables.

>Fix the hooks.c bug I reported earlier? :)

Yes.