Re: Mail mode

At 18.48 09/05/03 -0400, John E. Davis wrote:

I believe there are some languages where the space is necessary.  For
example, m4 uses "dnl " to denote a comment.

In Perl a space can be necessary *before* the comment char "#", e.g. with quote-like operators, and jed's perl mode partly complies with this behaviour, but then it is well known that "Only perl can parse Perl"...

BTW, and on an OT basis, I'd greatly welcome an improved perl mode that distinguishes between anonymous hashes and blocks of code, but even the perl interpreter sometimes has difficulties distinguishing them and must be helped so the same comment as above applies! OTOH one generally uses 'fat comma' ('=>') to separate key/value pairs in (anonymous) hashes, so a first-approximation solution might be devised in terms of this circumstance.

Michele

--
Liberta' va cercando, ch'e' si' cara,
Come sa chi per lei vita rifiuta.

I am my own country - United States Confederate of Me!
           [Pennywise, "My own country"]