Re: slang: UTF-8 and strlen

John E. Davis <davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Günter Milde <milde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >Sometimes, you want to switch the behaviour at runtime, based on some
value
> I have a hard time imaging a common situation where you would want to
> do this.  Do you have a specific example in mind?

Maybe it would make sense to relate all functions dealing with characters to
superseded translation mode: glyph, UTF-character or byte.
The byte mode would be similar to the already existant binary mode
(set_file_translation). The display in UTF-character mode would show up
all combined characters one after another.
But I emphasize "maybe", because I just started to get familiar with UTF
and would prefer the simplest implementation, which I believe we get with
your approach.

>From viewpoint "apropos", search and tab completion, probably the naming
could
be improved:

strlen, strlenu, strlenb

or

strlen, UTFcharlen, UTFbytelen
(prefix UTF for all function dealing with the lower level of UTF).

-- Klaus