wjed and the system() command

The system() command in wjed has a somewhat surprising feature:
it translates its argument (a string) from Windows codepage to DOS codepage.

Maybe there is a good reason for doing so, but in certain situations it is
very awkward.  Example:
The Danish language has three extra letters æ ø å (TeX codes \ae \o \aa).
Now, if I want to do Danish spellchecking from within Jed, then I cannot use
the standard ispell() command defined in ispell.sl, because ispell() uses
system() and thus letters æ ø å are converted to something strange.
(Yes, of course I can come around the problem by modifying  ispell()
so that it makes an extra DOS->Windows conversion before sending the word to
be checked  into the system() function, but ...)

--
Jørgen Larsen