Re: Accented characters in DOS

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002 18:14:47 -0300 wrote Luciano ES <luc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> ...  this problem affects directly my use of JED because I prefer to use
> it in DOS rather than Windows, and I suffer a lot with this problem.

What exactly do you use:  wjed, jed for DOS in a Dos-box, jed under native
DOS (no windows running)

> My problem is that although I can type all accented characters correctly,

(in DOS, in Windooof or in jed (which?)?

> they become weird symbols when printed on screen or sent to files or pipes
> (a.k.a. standard output). I can type all accented characters correctly,
> except ã and õ; õ becomes the "sigma" symbol, and ã becomes something I
> can't describe. I can type all others, like á, à, é, ó, ä, ü, ç, even â and
> ô. I can also type a few special symbols with Alt Gr, although the output of
> these is not always what my Brazilian ABNT2 keyboard makes me expect.
> Summing up, everything I type into DOS is input correctly, except ã and õ.
> All accented characters in DOS standard output become weird symbols.
>
> So, to give you an example, if I open a file or standard input containing:
> "Isto é só um teste de acentuação" the output on screen will be "Isto ? s¢
> um teste de acentua?Æo"

For me, it looks like a problem with the DOS encoding (IBM-extension page)
In German, one can use page 850 or 437 -- I don't know which is used in
Brasil. I don't know whether this might be a DOS-Windos problem or specific
to jed (did you try other editors, say the native dos one or some norton
commander replacement? What happens with the output outside jed?)

There is a very mitghty open-source character conversion program "recode"
that comes also in a DOS version. You can use it a filter if nothing else
helps. Jed would also allow you to do automatic conversion when loading or
saving with the appropriate hooks (see the file hooks.txt in the help menu
and the script compress.sl in the standard library for an example of
automatic manipulation of files on startup -- although the latter is rather
complex and needs some understanding of slang.

Guenter

G.Milde at physik.tu-dresden.de