Re: strange behaviour with SuSE8.0

Klaus Schmid <klaus.schmid@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> Is the reproducible with the simplest such files?
>
>Yes, with a file containing one line (reduction of my jed.rc):
>set_hostname ("");

It is probably not a good idea to change the hostname while jed is
running.  This is particularly important since jed uses this
information to lock files.  If you must change the hostname, do it
once at startup via, e.g., your .jedrc file.

>> Are you using the version of slang distributed with SuSE?
>
>Yes.
>
>> If so, try using the one that I distribute.  Both SuSE and Redhat
>> distribute modified (and broken) versions of slang.
>
>Then IMHO I should do that anyway.
>Unfortunatly I feel a bit lost as a Linux/SuSE-newbie to do that.
>Any hints? (Should I wait for a update by SuSE?)

Do this:

   1.  Grab the jed and slang .tar.gz files and put them in the same
       directory, e.g., /usr/local/src.

   2.  tar xzf slang-1.4.5.tar.gz jed-B0.99-15.tar.gz
   3.  ln -s slang-1.4.5 slang
   4.  cd slang
   5.  ./configure; make
   6.  cd ../jed-B0.99-15
   7.  ./configure; make --prefix=/usr/local
   8.  make xjed
   8.  make install

This will install jed in /usr/local/bin/jed.   Setup your path so that
the version in /usr/local/bin is picked up before the already
installed on in /usr/bin.

For what it is worth, I used to use SuSE, but now I use debian.

Good luck,