Re: strange behaviour with SuSE8.0

Am Samstag, 18. Mai 2002 22:23 schrieb John E. Davis:

> It is probably not a good idea to change the hostname while jed is
> running.  This is particularly important since jed uses this
> information to lock files.  If you must change the hostname, do it
> once at startup via, e.g., your .jedrc file.

I tested this:
  .jedrc with one line:
      set_hostname(" ");
   jed t1.tmp (new) --> t1.tmp gets wrongly locked

And, .jedrc with one line:
      insert( "hello");
  jed
     --> hellohellohello   in *scratch*
  jed -n
     --> hello   in *scratch*

Shouldn't the switch '-n' avoid evaluation of .jedrc?
Where and when does the SuSE-jed evaluate .jedrc?

Anyway, it seems worth to reinstall as you have suggested.

> Do this:
>
>    1.  Grab the jed and slang .tar.gz files and put them in the same
>        directory, e.g., /usr/local/src.
>
>    2.  tar xzf slang-1.4.5.tar.gz jed-B0.99-15.tar.gz
>    3.  ln -s slang-1.4.5 slang
>    4.  cd slang
>    5.  ./configure; make
>    6.  cd ../jed-B0.99-15
>    7.  ./configure; make --prefix=/usr/local
>    8.  make xjed
>    8.  make install
>
> This will install jed in /usr/local/bin/jed.   Setup your path so that
> the version in /usr/local/bin is picked up before the already
> installed on in /usr/bin.

Thanks a lot. Now it is up to me ;)

> For what it is worth, I used to use SuSE, but now I use debian.

SuSE8.0/KDE3 looks nice and was the easiest way to go for me.
Maybe I will change to Debian on next stable release.

Thanks
Klaus