Re: gethostbyname () causing irritating delays

John E. Davis spake unto us the following wisdom:
> I do not think there will be any conflicts between the random hostname
> assigned to your laptop by the DHCP server and the hard-coded name in
> your hosts file--- unless you choose a name that is already on the
> local network and you have to interact with that machine by name.

My problem is that dhcpcd was setting my hostname (the hostname
returned by gethostname ()) on lease acquisition ... I have since
corrected this problem, but as it is default behavior on most hosts
I've used, I considered this an issue that that behavior caused poor
behavior out of jed.

> Again, I do not think that the hostname assigned to you by the server
> is important.

Only because it is assigned in such a way that it caused gethostname
() to return a non-FQDN

> Here is how jed determines the hostname:

Ahh, so this actually answers the issue to my satisfaction, I guess.
It would be nice to be able to unilaterally prevent this behavior from
my .jedrc in some fashion, but the fact that gethostname () returning
a FQDN prevents a name lookup is sufficient for my purposes.

Thanks for your time.
Ethan

--
If I've told you once, I've told you once
And once is all that you needed.