Re: gethostbyname () causing irritating delays

Ethan Blanton <eblanton@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>My jed is doing a hostname lookup at startup (and has for several
>versions now, I'm not sure how many) that causes irritating delays
>when I am on a slow link or temporarily disconnected (temporary
>disconnection is a likely time to want to be fixing things fast in
>your editor!) from the network.  I think this is happening in
>get_hostname () from userinfo.c.  My question is this...  Why are we
>doing this now, and should it be default?

It uses the hostname information for locking files, etc.  This is
particularly useful when on a network.

I think that if you are experiencing delays, then your /etc/hosts file
is probably faulty.  Make sure the first line looks like

   127.0.0.1       paco    localhost

where, e.g., paco is the hostname.  Also check your /etc/nsswitch.conf
contains

   hosts:          files dns

and not, e.g.,

   hosts:          dns files

These changes should solve the delay problem.