Re: Re: Re: startup file names (was: Ignore_Beep doesn't...)

On Thu, 04 Apr 2002 09:30:34 +0200 wrote Michele Dondi <bik.mido@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> [OT] I've been using linux for a few years now at a cluster we have in our
> university (http://lcm.mi.infn.it) and I currently use it at home even if
> it's not my "main" OS (if that could mean something). Actually I still
> consider myself to be fundamentally a newbie, yet I would like to expose my
> VERY HUMBLE opinion: I've always had an unsatisfactory feeling about
> configuration files in one's home directory.

Don't you like hidden files, don't you like automatically created files
or don't you like that many files in your home?

> In fact, one of the nice things of *nix systems is IMHO the nice overall
> (system-wide) hierarchical organization. So one has (with few exceptions)
> /bin usr/bin usr/local/bin and such for executables, /etc for configuration
> files, etc. Oe often mimics such structure in his own home directory, for
> example I have ~/bin for my scripts and other executables (and a window
> manager too!! -- it's wm2). But all those *rc files, even if hidden, give
> me an idea of confusion, I'd be much more satisfied with an ~/etc
> solution... unluckily even if my ideas would be sharable, I guess it's far
> too late to change things... :-)

No, it isn't. (Things will only change, if we can convince John.)

The mirroring of the tree structure is just what I thought to do with the
jed directory (JED_ROOT).

E.g. I have in my HOME
   .jed/
     |-  .jedrc
     |-  lib/
     |-  doc/
     |-  (...)

(The odd thing is, that in UNIX you need to call the config file .jedrc,
also if it is not in your HOME, I'd prefer jed.rc in this case)

(Also, I have a symlink from ~/Texte/jed to ~/.jed to have it visible (but
not directly in my HOME)).

The home-lib script [available from the JMR] which I have copied to
JED_ROOT/lib/defaults.sl (as root) sets the Jed_Home_Directory, the
library path and the documentation path. This way I have a default setup for
my configuration as well as for private extensions and modifications without
the need for environment variables. My wish would be to have home-lib.sl
become part of site.sl and this way avoid the need to muddle in the JED_ROOT.

Currently, if one cannot (or don't want to) touch JED_ROOT, he/she has to
set the JED_HOME environment variable to point to the directory containing
.jedrc and optionally put ()=evalfile("full/path/to/home-lib.sl") in .jedrc.

I.e. right now, you can already have your jed configuration in ~/etc.
Just set JED_HOME to ~/etc and put .jedrc there.
(although I would recommend to create and use ~/etc/jed/ instead, this way you can also have
~/etc/jed/lib for your slang scripts (and home-lib.sl would set the library-path right :-)

Guenter

--
G.Milde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx