Re: [slang-users] Using the tcc module

On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 at 01:32, John E. Davis <jed@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sebastian Gniazdowski <sgniazdowski@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I saw some exciting posts in the archives about an embedded, jit C
> compiler
> > …

The slang interpreter provides interfaces to many C functions,
> including printf.  So, I am not sure exactly what you mean.

I was only giving an example of a C code to run through tcc.

> The promising thing about tcc is that one would be able to execute
> small code fragments that cannot be vectorized much faster than is
> possible by the interpreter.

Yes, I have also realized this, so that TCC is not a toy for me to include
in MC, it's a fully justified feature that when added to the scripting
support of MC/MCEdit, will provide with a concrete gains.

> The one thing stopping me from adding the module to the distribution
> is that current implementation does not guarantee that a user cannot
> crash the interpreter and the application embedding it via interpreter
> statements.  For example, suppose the slang interpreter invokes tcc
> via an intrinsic called `tcc`:

I think that this is not a problem. If someone codes in C, then he can get
segfaults. However, it's possible to write a segfault-free C code, so with
the top performance of it, it's all fine, IMO.

> --John

Sebastian Gniazdowski