[slang-users] Re: goto statement in slang

Hello John,

"John E. Davis" <davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jörg Sommer <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> As we all know goto is evil, I expect you never will implement it. But

I've forgot to put a smiley here.

> I used to think it was evil when I started writing code.  I was very
> proud of the fact that my first version of `most` did not use "goto".
> For the second and third rewrites of `most`, I replaced the crud that
> was necessary in the various looping statements to avoid the use of
> "goto" with "goto" and the result was much cleaner and understandable
> code.  Now I use "goto" when I feel that its use adds clarity to the
> code, and I feel that those who oppose its use are naive.

That's my opinion, too. If it's used advised, it makes the code more
readable.

>> what about break and continue with an optional level as in shell.
>
> I have thought about that for slang-2.2, but I will make no promises
> about it yet.

That would be nice, but decide yourself.

BTW: The short forms && and || of andelse resp. orelse are really handy.

Bye, Jörg.
--
Gienger's Law (http://www.bruhaha.de/laws.html):
Die Wichtigkeit eines Newspostings im Usenet ist reziprok zur Anzahl der