Re: [slang-users] const char* argument in functions like SLsmg_write_nstring

On Wed, 23 May 2007 22:29:30 +0200, Remko van der Vossen <wich@xxxxxxxx> said:
>> The main reason is that slang dates from a time when not all
>> compilers supported the const keyword.  Moreover, at that time
>
>There exist(ed) compilers which do not support the const keyword? I would
>say such compiler would be broken by design...

I have used Ultrix compilers that were not 100 percent ANSI compliant.
While those compilers provided some support for function prototypes,
the const keyword was not supported.

>> autoconf did not exist or if it did, it was not in wide-spread usage.
>> Hence, the most portable solution was to avoid using const.
>
>The relation to autoconf escapes me, but then again, I know nothing
>about auto* anyway...

When you run "configure" to build the source code, the script probes
your system to see what libraries exist, what compiler options and
features are available, etc.  Prior to autoconf, it was necessary for
the installer to edit makefiles, use OS-specific makefiles, etc.

>> I will revisit this issue for slang 3 -- until then you will have to
>> use a typecast.
>
>Any ideas on when this would be available?

I have no idea.  I am still working on version 2.