Re: [slang-users] Re: const char* argument in functions like SLsmg_write_nstring

=?UTF-8?Q?J=C3=B6rg?= Sommer <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Why not introduce a new configure option --enable-const and make the
>changes in SLang 2? In SLang 3 you can change the default from
>--disable-const to --enable-const and everyone with a broken compiler can
>still use SLang.

I am not worried about such compilers being in use anymore.  However,
I do not want to modify the slang-2 API at this point.  I may add
additional functionality to the API, but I will not change what is
there.

Keep in mind that making changes such as "char *" -> "const char *" in
slang.h is more than cosmetic.  It would require additional typecasts
to the underlying functions that could ripple throughout the library.
Such a big change will have to wait until the next major release.
Right now I am preparing for the upcoming slang 2.1 release, which is
a minor release.