Re: [slang-users] Some Collaboration Requested ....

Ok Thanks for all who replied, I feel perhaps I need to do more clarification
on how/what needs to be done to solicit more information.

But First:

Paul:
<SNIP>

Can you represent an accounting balance as a float?

Yes, as matter of fact it needs to be. One could have a credit balance
on their account from various transactions, overpayments, credit to
accounts. Inventory balances are the same way as is Quantity ordered
and shipped on orders.

Now for the clarification:

The data from the I/O module needs to defined in the S-Lang program.
The I/O program needs to read/write to the space in the S-Lang
program itself. It needs to be accessed by reference, and not
passed by value. Somehow, it needs to "belong" (as it were) to the
'interpreter' but the C module needs to have read/write access to it,
much like the existing I/O S-lang routines do now.

I am trying to make the I/O module just a generic module.
Further explanation is as:

CUSTOMER record is defined and allocated in "myslang.sl"
myslang.sl calls an "open" function to "CUSTOMER FILE" and
gets returned a value of success or a "file pointer".

myslang.sl then opens the "OPEN ITEM" file and the same thing
happens.

I "read" a customer record and the I/O module is passed the
file pointer and the "CUSTOMER" data area. If the read was successful,
(or not) a "file status" value is returned and the CUSTOMER
data area is updated (I/O module "writes" directly to defined data area).

Perhaps the "POSIX" module is where I need to start ?

Ok, next question, which MAY be of benefit to everyone. IF, say by
chance, I do get a very good working "Keyed" file module, what are the
chances it be submitted as a "native" sl function to the S-Lang

As always, thanks.

--
Ben Duncan   - VersAccounting Software LLC 336 Elton Road  Jackson MS, 39212
"Never attribute to malice, that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"