possible stack over- or underflow

hi all,

I have to maintain a very huge program written in s-lang by many people over
several
years( which means that it got a horrible mess). the software reads a huge
amount of
data records and reformats them. at the end it deliveres the new records in
some
output files. at least not that it was designed for, i think...

after dealing with s-lang since more than a year now, I'm used to get the
most time horrible
or useless error messages.
but in the moment I get absolute no response from the interpreter!

the only thing I receive is a printout of the stack with an undefined value
as last value on it,
which makes me think that it is an stack overflow. the problem is that I
reach the error only
after a calculation time of nearly 4 houres.

I tried now to use the _stkdepth function to get the amount of data on the
stack before every
record read in and after written out again to see whats happening. as usual
it's not working
as expected. it delivers no inter type value like explained in the
documentation.
I assigned the value to a variable and tried to print it -> crash! with no
message

has anybody an idea to how to handle this function correct( and mayby also
the print_stack)?

looking forword for any help.
best regards and thanks,
andreas