Re: [jed-users] Double spacing fonts bug in xjed

Might as well add this one into the research mix.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/terminator/+bug/1769774

A "summary" of it can be found here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/xfce/comments/bojty4/xfce_terminal_not_following_default_monospace/

Whole lotta finger pointing. After skimming it and not looking at any Jed code, I would postulate out my posterior that whatever Xjed is using for function calls to get font information is getting split between the various methods (fontconfig, GNOME, etc.) getting some of the metrics via one path and others via another.

Newer non-system fonts probably only exist in a single place __OR__ when they are added via a system font addition utility, their information is stored correctly in both paths. You could "test" this completely baseless theory.

1) identify a monospace font that has the problem.

2) Find a font file online for the same font name. (zip or whatever, just not a .DEB because the .DEB may be missing a postinstal step to update information)

3) Use the Fonts utility to add the font.

4) reboot and see if that monospace font still has the problem.

On 8/24/23 14:46, John Skilleter wrote:
For what it is worth, I see the same problem with font spacing in Xjed, but only with some monospaced fonts on XFCE (Xubuntu 20.4 and 22.4 which don't use Wayland and aren't using HiDPI monitors).

Luckily, my favourite programming font; Source Code Pro SemiBold, works fine, so I've not investigated the problem.

I wouldn't dream of pelting anyone with rocks as your points are worth following up to see if they apply in this case.

John

On 24/08/2023 10:30, Roland Hughes wrote:
Please allow Captain Obvious to say some stupid things without being pelted by rocks.

The one thing that always amazes me is how people say "It's the exact same software on all the machines" and overlook the video card.

Wayland has been and will always be a train wreck. Here is a long thread about fonts, GTK and Wayland on Arch

https://github.com/flatpak/flatpak/issues/2861

While Xjed may not be using Gtk3 (I do not know) it may well suffer from the problem described in the last comment in that thread.

I loved Manjaro, but had to un-install it so I could focus on Debian/RPM packaging of other things. Manjaro has a lot of "community" desktops but only 3 "official" desktops. Cinnamon was my favorite, but it wasn't official so it was always behind . . . which made it more stable.

Oh yeah, Captain Obvious wanted to ask if you are running the exact same desktop on both machines. The problems seem to vary widely.

Fonts on Manjaro have historically been a problem. So much so there is a wiki page about improving them.

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Improve_Font_Rendering

Does one system have a HiDPI monitor? Yeah, problems there too.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/HiDPI

You aren't alone with your font spacing issues on Manjaro

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/having-issue-with-font-spacing-on-motile-m142-ryzen/28551

Did you change desktops on one machine?

https://www.reddit.com/r/ManjaroLinux/comments/119ef84/switched_from_xfce_to_kde_now_spacing_in_konsole/

Just a few rabbit holes for you to go down.

On 8/24/23 01:08, Itai Arad wrote:
Sorry, I think my original mail did not make it into the mailing list. Here it is again.

Hi John,

I am using version 0.99.19 that I compiled myself:

~> xjed --version
jed version: 0.99.19/Unix
  Compiled with GNU C 13.2
S-Lang version: 2.3.3

jed compile-time options:
  +LINE_ATTRIBUTES +BUFFER_LOCAL_VARS +SAVE_NARROW +TTY_MENUS
  +EMACS_LOCKING +MULTICLICK +SUBPROCESSES +DFA_SYNTAX +ABBREVS
  +COLOR_COLUMNS +LINE_MARKS +GPM_MOUSE +IMPORT

Using JED_ROOT=/usr/local/jed

I.

On Sun, Aug 20, 2023, at 17:45, John E. Davis wrote:
Itai Arad <ia@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have installed jed on manjaro linux and I am trying to use xjed.
However, all the fonts look funny; they appear to occupy to places,
where the letter is written in one space and the other space is empty.
What version of jed are you using?  (xjed --version)

If it is a recent version, try something like:

    xjed -fn xft:mono
    xjed -fn xft:courier

If the same problems result, then try:

    xjed -fn 10x20 -fs 0

And if the problem continues, I will work with you to try to resolve
the problem.

For example, if I write ABC, it will appear there as "A B C"

I tried many different fonts using -fn and -fs --- for example, xjed
-fn "mono" -fs 11 --- but while the fonts and sizes change, I always
get the same behavior.

Do you know what could have gone wrong? I compiled it with xft support.

Thanks,
Itai.

Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions