Re: [Jed-users-l] Feature requests (again)

On 6 January 2011 17:15, Manfred Hanke
<Manfred.Hanke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> Peter Bengtsson wrote:
>> The only two features I miss from Emacs and VIM are:
>> 1) Ability to split screen vertically.  (C-x 3)
>
> I agree; I also haven't found this feature so far.
>
>> When working out difference between two files this is absolutely
>> lovely way to work
>
> It's probably not exactly what you have in mind, but I'd like to mention
> that I find diffmode from
> http://jedmodes.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/jedmodes/mode/diffmode/
> quite nice. It basically displays diff's with syntax highlighting, and
> allows you to jump to a position mentioned by the diff with a shortkey.
>
> But I'd like to suggest to Günter Milde to include the line
>   dfa_enable_highlight_cache("diffmode.dfa", mode);
> somewhere after
>   #ifdef HAS_DFA_SYNTAX
> . I have a require("diffmode"); in my ~/.jedrc, and always got these
>   Creating DFA syntax table for Diff...
> messages... ;-)
>
>> 2) Draw a line at 80 characters.
>> In VIM you can get a semi-transparent vertical line on the 80th. It's
>> not stopping you from going over but it visually reminds you not to
>> write too long lines.
>
> With the following, you probably get almost what you want:
>   set_column_colors(30, 80, 80);
>   set_color_object (30, "black", "lightgray");
> -- unless "lightgray" coincides with your default background... ;-)

Works great for text files but not in Python mode.
Any idea how to override the Python mode with your trick?
Also, is it possible to make it so that all characters after column 80
get that different colour?

> However, the 80th column will only be highlighted when it contains text.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Manfred

Peter Bengtsson,
work www.fry-it.com