Re: [Jed-users-l] Feature requests (again)

Hi Peter,

Peter Bengtsson wrote:
> The only two features I miss from Emacs and VIM are:
> 1) Ability to split screen vertically.  (C-x 3)

I agree; I also haven't found this feature so far.

> When working out difference between two files this is absolutely
> lovely way to work

It's probably not exactly what you have in mind, but I'd like to mention
that I find diffmode from
http://jedmodes.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/jedmodes/mode/diffmode/
quite nice. It basically displays diff's with syntax highlighting, and
allows you to jump to a position mentioned by the diff with a shortkey.

But I'd like to suggest to Günter Milde to include the line
   dfa_enable_highlight_cache("diffmode.dfa", mode);
somewhere after
   #ifdef HAS_DFA_SYNTAX
. I have a require("diffmode"); in my ~/.jedrc, and always got these
   Creating DFA syntax table for Diff...
messages... ;-)

> 2) Draw a line at 80 characters.
> In VIM you can get a semi-transparent vertical line on the 80th. It's
> not stopping you from going over but it visually reminds you not to
> write too long lines.

With the following, you probably get almost what you want:
   set_column_colors(30, 80, 80);
   set_color_object (30, "black", "lightgray");
-- unless "lightgray" coincides with your default background... ;-)

However, the 80th column will only be highlighted when it contains text.

Cheers,

Manfred