Re: [Jed-users-l] Help: A few config questions.

Hi Tom,

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 5:13 PM, Tom Culliton <culliton@xxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm pretty sure you can't get rid of it. If you kill '*scratch*' or rename
> it a new one is created. My programming instincts say that it is there to
> keep the number of buffers == 0 and current buffer == NONE type
> complications from making life miserable.  It and the command/entry
> mini-buffer are pretty deeply woven into fabric of Jed.

Thanks. After some Googling I found an interesting alternative. You
can write an S-Lang macro that purposely ignores all the *foo*
buffers. As a final touch, the macro can take you forward and back
through the list of buffers. So now on my JED, I can type Ctrl-N or
Ctrl-P to go to the next or previous buffer ignoring *scratch*,
*Completions* and friends.

%
% Switch to previous or next buffer.
%    Source:  http://www.rexx.com/~dkuhlman/jed_macros.html
%
define next_buffer (previous) {
    variable n, buf;
    n = buffer_list ();   % Get the buffers on the stack.
    if (previous) {
        _stk_reverse (n-1);
    }
    loop (n) {
        buf = ();
        n--;
        % Skip *scratch* and other buffers that are not of interest.
        if ((buf[0] == '*') or (buf[0] == ' ')) {
            continue;
        }
        sw2buf (buf);
        _pop_n (n);
        return;

setkey ("next_buffer (0)", "^N");  % Ctrl-N  => Next buffer.
setkey ("next_buffer (1)", "^P");  % Ctrl-P  => Prev buffer.

I have to say, JED is a pretty nifty program. It's the only editor I
know that has a low barrier to entry, and still has powerful features
like the S-Lang macros.

Daniel.
--
No trees were destroyed in the generation of this email, but a large
number of electrons were severely inconvenienced.