Re: System-wide jed.rc that does not get overwritten when jed is upgraded?

Lloyd Zusman <ljz <at> asfast.com> writes:

> [ ... ]
>
> In summary, it has been standard practice for decades in Unix-like
> systems to have program configuration files kept in /etc or /usr/local/etc,
> and for these files to _not_ get overwritten during "make install".
> Is there any way to change jed's build procedure so that it conforms to
> this time-tested and widely used convention?
>
> [ ... ]

OK, I found a solution. In site.sl, I noticed this:

% The best way to make changes in this file is to put all your changes in a
% separate file, defaults.sl.  defaults.sl is NOT distributed with JED.  Code
% at the end of this file checks for the existence of `defaults.sl' and loads
% it if found. Functions occuring in this file (site.sl) may be overloaded in
% defaults.sl. Making changes this way also makes it easier to upgrade to
% future JED versions.

So one way to do this would be to make my own defaults.sl which
overrides the command_line_hook() function to look for a startup file
in /etc or /usr/local/etc before checking $HOME/.jedrc and
$JED_ROOT/lib/jed.rc

But in looking at the end of site.sl, I realized that there is another
Unix-specific solution that is even easier. If defaults.sl is not found,
a file called jed.conf is searched for in /etc and /usr/etc. I can put
system-wide, startup-specfic code in that file, which also solves my
problem.

I had missed the mention of jed.conf in the INSTALL.unx file.

Anyway, all's well that ends well.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@xxxxxxxxxx