System-wide jed.rc that does not get overwritten when jed is upgraded?

Is there a way to configure jed (0.99-18) under Linux so that I can
maintain a system-wide jed.rc file that does _not_ get overwritten
whenever I rebuild and reinstall jed? The $JED_ROOT/lib/jed.rc file
always gets overwritten when I do a "make install", and this is a huge
inconvenience.

And yes, I know that I can manage this manually by remembering to
back up $JED_ROOT/lib/jed.rc before every rebuild, or by writing
some sort of wrapper script that I run to install jed instead of
simply typing "make install". However, this is extra work and it
deviates from the standard Unix/linux practice of using system-wide
configuration files that are kept in /etc or /usr/local/etc,
and which do not get overwritten during "make install".

And I cannot have this managed via aliases or environment variables
or via $HOME/.jedrc files, because these are user-specific and I can't
require all the users on my system to always run jed through some special
alias, or to always set some sort of environment variable before running
jed, or to always have system-specific code in their private $HOME/.jedrc
files.

In summary, it has been standard practice for decades in Unix-like
systems to have program configuration files kept in /etc or /usr/local/etc,
and for these files to _not_ get overwritten during "make install".
Is there any way to change jed's build procedure so that it conforms to
this time-tested and widely used convention?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@xxxxxxxxxx