Re: Cut and paste between two instances of xjed using Brief emulation fails on Debian Lenny

On Thursday 20 November 2008, G. Milde wrote:
> On 20.11.08, Delbert Franz wrote:
> > Cutting/copying and pasting between two instances of xjed under Debian
> > Lenny (Jed 0.99.18U) using Brief emulation fails to work.
> > The same operation between buffers in one instance works.
>
> Which functions do you use in your attempts?
> (if you use key-combinations, please find out the bindings with
> Help>Describe Bindings).
>
> copy_region() and yp_copy_region_as_kill() are only for local copies.
>
> cua_copy_region() copies also to the system clipboard.
>

> yp_yank() inserts from the local clipboard.
>
> cua_insert_clipboard() inserts the system CLIPBOARD selection
>

> Do you have a Clipboard application running?
>
> Do you know the difference between PRIMARY and CLIPBOARD X-selection?
>
> % From xclip's README:
> %
> %   For a good overview of what selections are about, have a look at
> %   <http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/clipboards.txt>. Short version:
> %
> %   * XA_PRIMARY contains the last text you highlighted
> %   * Middle click pastes XA_PRIMARY
> %   * XA_CLIPBOARD contains text explicitly copied with Edit | Copy, Ctrl-C etc.
> %   * Edit | Paste pastes XA_CLIPBOARD
> %   * xclip uses XA_PRIMARY unless you specify otherwise with -selection
> %   * never ever use CUTBUFFERS, they are obsolete and problematic
>
> % which means on X-Windows (xjed or jed in X-terminal):
> % * cuamark copy/kill/insert should use CLIPBOARD instead of PRIMARY
> %   However,
> %   * x_copy_region_to_selection() and x_insert_selection() use PRIMARY
> %   * there are no S-Lang functions to work with CLIPBOARD
>

> > I have also found that the same operation between xjed and other apps
> > mostly fails. For example, between Kmail and xjed.
>
> This is a known bug in jed <= 0.99.18, affecting most Qt application
> (but also some newer GTK ones).
>
> > Is there a workaround for this?
>
> Yes, you can use a command line utility from within jed.
> See cuamark.sl (from jedmodes.sf.net or Debian package jed-extra).
>
> Günter
>
> --------------------------
Günter, thanks for your reply.  I am using the Brief key-bindings.  For example, to mark
an entire line for copy/cut, I use alt-l with the cursor anywhere in the line.
Having a "clipboard app' running is new to me-- something new from the
X-world:)  Most apps I use "just work" with cut and paste!
I also tried the menu options for rectangles, and again I do not get
information to move from xjed to xjed.  One work around is to have the
two files in two buffers of one invocation of xjed.  This does work.

However, I did discover a means of copy/paste between open xjed windows and with
some other apps:

1. Mark the text using alt-a, or alt-c to set the beginning point.

2. Then move the cursor with various keys to the ending point.

3. Press the middle mouse button and the highlighting disappears,
showing that something is being done.

4. Mark the insertion point in the other xjed or app window and press the middle
mouse button again.

This is one of the X-window ways of doing things.  However, it does
not work when going from an xjed window to Kmail--I find that a number of other
apps do not work with Kmail either. It does work with the composer in Claws-mail,
another reason for me to switch mail apps.

In time, I will dechiper the abbreviations in the Key Bindings Help option.
Even after 45 years using computers, there are always new things to learn:)
But then, I don't have that many years in which to learn them, so I have to
be selective:)

Delbert