Configuration problem

Hi all,

this is basically a repost of the usenet message I sent yesterday to <news:comp.editors>, wich is available at <news:5e4bg4l9jv74t8r7o634fg10rl8m673buq@xxxxxxx> and didn't receive any answer thus far. (I posted there due to technical difficulties with the ML, which have now been solved...)

I've been using JED as my preferred text editor for some years now:
sadly (?) enough I never went much beyong a beginner's level with it,
as far as configuration details are concerned. However it's always
been working straight out of the box from the Linux distros I've been
on, (and under Windows, with the precompiled binaries) and then

From some time on, though, things began not being so nice any more. In
particular I've had problems both with gentoo installations and with
debian ones: in a consistent manner, so the problem seems to be that
of broken ports, whic may be relevant to report here.

Under gentoo, when I fire up jed, it gives me an error message to the
point that it is unable to load some file, but then it prompts me for
suppliying a file to edit. For some reason, the keybindings are those
I chose, thus ~/.jedrc is loaded, but my customized colors are not.

What's worse, under debian, (and I will HAVE to work with it!) when I
fire up jed, it writes "Run-time error" for a fraction of a second in
the status bar, then it starts loading .slc files. At a certain point
I'm left with "loading /usr/share/jed/lib/modeinfo.slc" - However I'm
in Emacs mode with the default colors, which means that my ~/.jedrc is
NEVER read.

Any idea?

TIA,
Michele