Re: jed-0.99-18 + slang-2.1.2 = Run-Time Error

Robert Riebisch <rr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>I successfully built above sources using latest DJGPP, but when loading
>a file and pressing cursor-up several times, JED shows "Run-Time Error"
>instead of "Top Of Buffer." Same of cursor-down and "End Of Buffer."
>
>Is this a known incompatibility?
>
>What I tried so far:
>1) jed-0.99.19-102 (from SVN) + slang-2.1.2 = OK
>2) jed-0.99-18 + slang-2.1.1 = OK

You are seeing the effects of this change in slang-2.1.2:

  6. src/slerr.c: When SLang_set_error is called, then add the string
     representation of the error message to the message queue.

Also jed-0.99.19-99 introduced this change:

 99. src/misc.c: msg_error changed to call SLang_verror instead of
     SLang_set_error.  This allows, among other things, exceptions to
     access jed error messages.

In other words, prior to jed-0.99.19-99, the "Top Of Buffer" error
message was not getting propagated to slang-- only the error-code,
which it translated to "Run-Time Error". This is also why the change
introduced in slang-2.1.2 has no effect on versions of jed later than
version 0.99.19-98.

I would not call this an incompatibility-- it is just that the
more informative error message does not get displayed when using an
old version of jed with a new version of slang.

>By the way (regarding SVN version):
>1) Why does `pcmouse.c' still have `jed_insert_chars'? I always have to
>   change it to `jed_insert_nbytes'.
>   $ sed -i 's/jed_insert_chars/jed_insert_nbytes/g' pcmouse.c
>2) DJGPP makefile produced by mkmake misses `-lm'. Otherwise we get
>   "undefined reference to `_finite'".
>   $ sed -i '/-lslang/s/$/ -lm/' makefile

Hopefully these issues have been resolved in the latest version in the
repository.

>3) `INSTALL.pc' mentions `jed386.exe' several times, but DJGPP produces
>   `jed.exe'. One of those should be fixed to avoid confusion. ;-)

That file stems from a time when I distributed binaries for
DOS/Windows.  I nolonger do so and as such that file should be
rewritten.