Re: Display long lines on multiple lines?

Silas S. Brown <ssb22@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Emacs has a feature where, if one line is too
>long, you can get it to display that line as two
>lines (or three or however many it takes), with
>a backslash at the end to indicate that the line
>continues onto the next one.  I find this very
>useful, because it eliminates the need to do all
>that laborious horizontal scrolling.

It is on the TODO list but I cannot say when the feature will be added.

>Is there any way to get jed to do this?  Or if
>not, CAN there be any way to get jed to do this?
>I've looked through all the documentation and I
>can't find anything.  Setting HORIZONTAL_PAN to
>0 doesn't do it.  Of course, I can set WRAP to
>SCREEN_WIDTH, but that only works in text, not
>code etc.

You might bind these two functions to a pair of keys:

define pan_left ()
{
   variable c = get_scroll_column ();
   if (c == 1)
     return;

   set_scroll_column (c-1);
}

define pan_right ()
{
   set_scroll_column (get_scroll_column () + 1);
}

I use the Ctrl-Left/Ctrl-Right arrow keys to invoke them:

  setkey ("pan_right", "\eOc");   % Ctrl-Right
  setkey ("pan_left", "\eOd");    % Ctrl-Left

The actual escape sequences will vary with the terminal.  The above are
appropriate for my laptop.

I hope this helps.