Display long lines on multiple lines?

Hi, I'm legally blind and I need to use a
terminal with very large fonts, hence I cannot
get many columns per line (I can usually get
about 48 columns, and if I'm using a very wide
screen I can get 60).  So I often find myself
looking at text files which have more columns
than will fit on my screen and, if I can't
easily re-do the wrapping (i.e. if it's code or
something) then I have to do rather too much
horizontal scrolling.

Emacs has a feature where, if one line is too
long, you can get it to display that line as two
lines (or three or however many it takes), with
a backslash at the end to indicate that the line
continues onto the next one.  I find this very
useful, because it eliminates the need to do all
that laborious horizontal scrolling.

Is there any way to get jed to do this?  Or if
not, CAN there be any way to get jed to do this?
I've looked through all the documentation and I
can't find anything.  Setting HORIZONTAL_PAN to
0 doesn't do it.  Of course, I can set WRAP to
SCREEN_WIDTH, but that only works in text, not
code etc.

Thanks.

Silas

--