Re: HOME on Windows

Hi Marko,

Marko Mahnic <marko.mahnic@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jörg Sommer wrote:
>> as I saw on
>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ntcmds_shelloverview.mspx?mfr=true
>> Windows doesn't set the HOME variable by default. As far as I see the
>> meaning of Jed_Home_Directory is a place where modes can store it's
>> data—this is APPDATA. I am not a Windows user/programmer, but isn't this
>> a better default for Jed_Home_Directory?
>
> On XP "Application Data" is a hidden directory.
> It is OK to put application settings there for
> programs that have a GUI to change the settings.

Jed doesn't care about the hidden flag. You can access the directory.
AFAIK the directory C:\Documents and Settings\ is blocked in the
Explorer. Hence, the %USERPROFILE% is hidden, too.

> Since jed is configured by editing sl files,
> "Application Data" would be a bad idea.
>
> Many FOSS programs put their settings in %USERPROFILE%
> in a subdirectory that starts with a dot:
>
>    %USERPROFILE%/.gimp-2.2
>    %USERPROFILE%/.netbeans

I know and this looks like a bug to me. Real Windows applications and
ethereal, e.g., store there settings in %APPDATA%. But APPDATA was
introduces with 2000, so it might not exist everywhere.

But following some suggestions on google groups I think APPDATA is the
right place.
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.windows-xp/msg/d2d3735664f9aa66
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/msg/eb1e39ac2fb7179a

I miss something like FHS for Windows.

I came across this problem, because the size of my %USERPROFILE% is very
limited and %APPDATA% points somewhere else than
%USERPROFILE%\Application Data. So I get often an warning “Profile
exceeded size limit.”, because an application wrote a blob to
%USERPROFILE%

Bye, Jörg.
--
Two types have compatible type if their types are the same.
[ANSI C, 6.2.7]