Ideas of new buffer organisation (was: Re: WRAP blocal?)

Hi John,

"John E. Davis" <davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jörg Sommer <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>is WRAP a pseudo blocal variable like TAB? Is it planed to make TAB a
>>read blocal variable?
>
> At the moment, WRAP affects all buffers.  I have not added much to the
> blocal code because I intend to change the interface to these
> variables.  For example, I have thought about creating a `get_buffer`
> function that returns a buffer object, e.g.,
>
>     cbuf = get_current_buffer ();
>     sbuf = get_buffer ("*scratch*");
>
>     % Copy the current buffer's tab setting to the scratch buffer
>     sbuf.tab = cbuf.tab;

The longer I think about this the more I'm enraptured by this idea. Some
of my thought about it:

+ Create a readonly variable buffer_list or buffer_set of the type
  Assoc_Array[Buffer_Type]. The variable holds all open buffers.

+ Buffer_Type is a struct to represent the buffer. I think about
  something like: B_T.mode, B_T.xy_hook, B_T.uv_hook_list, B_T.flags,
  B_T.tab, B_T.a_blocal_var and B_T.activate() (or setbuf(B_T))

It would be a big change, but I think you can base it completly on SLang.
It would be really great and I'm sure the whole jed would benefit from
it.

Bye, Jörg.
--
Prof. in der Mathematikvorlesung zu einem vergessenen \phi in der
Gleichung: "Klein-\phi macht auch Mist."