Re: gold key for edt mode

On 30.01.06, Thei Wijnen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running xjed on a linux platform and I do not have precompiled
> files. That is why I commented this line as "%# stop".

Preprocessor directives are accounted for

  * at preprocess time (this might cause trouble with preprocessed files
    used for different "flavours" of jed (xjed, wjed, Kosole, xterm,
    DOS-Prompt)

  * at evaluation time, if the *.sl file is newer as the *.slc file (a
    nonexisting *.slc file is indefinitely old).

> >>I tried x-keydefs.sl and started xjed (on a putty terminal
> >>connected to linux and xjed runs on my windows computer.

Does it *run* under Windows or is it displayed on your windows computer but
runs on the linux host.

> >>Starting however fails on the lines:
> >>#ifdef IBMPC_SYSTEM
> >># stop                 <----------------
> >>#endif

What is the error message if it fails?

What is the result if you copy the following lines to a scratch buffer and
call M-x evalbuffer on them:

#ifdef IBMPC_SYSTEM
message("I am running under Windows or DOS");
#else
message("I am not running under (Win)DOS");
#endif

> >>I commented that line (%# stop) and only now it works!
> >>What is the purpose of the that line ?

> >AFAIK it stops loading (compiling) the slang file.
> >It sould stop compiling only when you are runing jed on
> >DOS/Windows platform (#ifdef IBMPC_SYSTEM).

Exactly. (That is also what the comment says
% abort here, if we are on DOS or Windows
)

The code following the #stop has effect only on xjed. However, ...

% ... (we cannot use #ifdef XJED,
% as the byte-compiled file should be usable with jed on a console as well.)

Still, the preprocessor directive should save a bit of startup time and
memory if x-keydefs.sl is used on (Win)DOS.

Guenter

--
Milde ife.et.tu-dresden.de