Re: Proposed new addition to Jed...

Good evening, Paul...everyone...

On Tuesday 10 January 2006 12:02 pm, you wrote:

> > I could have a look at it or you could try using the documented template
> > module at http://jedmodes.sf.net/doc/foo.sl
> > (Which is, however an overkill for the intended mode. A better "model"
> > (but with less comments) would be e.g. http://jedmodes.sf.net/mode/ding/
>
> Or you could use the dict mode at http://jedmodes.sf.net/mode/dict

I've tried that, and haven't the slightest clue how to (1) send the
highlighted word to dictd, or how to (2) open a read-only buffer in the
current running copy of Jed with the dict returns, in the case of the
thesaurus.

To reiterate the existing process by which I can access the thesaurus on
the local host, here is the step-by-step process...

1. I have an open document which has a word that needs a better synonym.

2. Select the word using the Jed menu. (^KB but configurable)

3. Keystroke ^[! (depending upon ones terminal I would imagine.

4. type into the command line prompt ' dict -d moby-thesaurus <the word'
for which you want synonyms>

5. Hit ENTER

6. A new window and buffer opens containing all matches from
moby-thesaurus. Way cool!

7. Select a synonym or synonyms from the list you want to use.

8. Copy the word (since you already have a terminal available)

9. Delete the window containing the output from the shell because you can
always bring it back.

10. Paste the word (^KH but also configurable) into your current document.

Now this will probably send some of you into paroxysms (synonym of
conniption fits, according to moby-thesaurus) of laughter, but I have
cursorily examined all the various suggestions. I haven't a clue. However,
I wonder, will this set of keystrokes (above) fit in a macro, one that can
be defined in the .jedrc?  Can you even create macros in .jedrc? If so,
how does one assign a macro to a keystroke?

I am truly looking for something I can do to make this happen, but I
simply haven't found it yet. Something really SIMPLE that old goats like
me can understand. (Remember, it took me three tries to really get
flyspell.sl working like a star.)

Any other ideas?

Dave
--
Dave Laird (Dave@xxxxxxxxxx)
The Used Kharma Lot / The Phoenix Project

An automatic & random fortune For the Minute from Unix fortunes:
For gin, in cruel
Sober truth,
Supplies the fuel
For flaming youth.