Re: Brief and keydefs

G. Milde wrote:

Providing all "exotic" multiple-modifier-strang-key combinations will
bloat jed and slowdown the startup.

This is one of the reasons that a long time ago I suggested the use
of strings for key definitions (like in emacs etc):
  "C-Left" instead of Key_Ctrl_Left

where "C-Left" would be parsed by C code and only when needed
in setkey etc.
( "C-" would be converted to '^' and "Left" to 0xff51; after a
lookup in keysym table the character-sequence would be returned).

I also implemented Brief-like keycodes (eg. "<Ctrl-Left>")
with a dictionary, but this was even slower than using Key_XXX
variables so I gave it up.

BTW: wjed could be changed to use X-keycodes (like 0xff51) by using some code
like in FLTK that converts a WM_KEY message into an integer 0x0000-0xffff.
(WM_KEY -> X-keycode -> keysym table lookup -> character-sequence).
This way wjed could also have set_keysym

DOS OTOH would still have to use the old DOS keycodes because of
the limitations of the static DATA segment. I think it is limited
to 64k and the keysym tables would be too large.

x_set_keysym(), unfortunately doesnot allow multiple modifieres, so the Key_Shift_Control_Right for "mark next word" in CUA mode is impossible to
set.

In xjed you can use x_set_keysym (..., '%', ...) for Control-Shift combinations.

Marko