Re: Brief and keydefs

On 12.10.05, Marko Mahnic wrote:
> G. Milde wrote:
> >Why do the keystrings differ between xjed and fljed?
>
> Right. They probably shouldn't. Do you know of any
> list of more or less standard keystrings that I could
> use?

No, I use showkey_literal()
  (see the EXAMPLE in the doc to get_keystring()
  in jedmodes.sf.net/mode/strutils/ )
in xjed or xkeycap to find the string values for X11.

> After looking at termtypes.master I see that every terminal
> uses its own set of keystrings.

So I'd stick to the X11 definitions. If there is no keystring in X11
(as for e.g. Shift_Tab), choose one from a terminal that

  - is compatible with X11
  - is comprehensive

I once wondered whether to switch to the IBMPC strings completely (and
experimented with keymaps for the console) but gave up.

> Anyway, it shouldn't matter since xjed and fljed both 'create' the
> keystrings and thus they could both use the same table of keystrings.

IMHO, fljed keystrings should become a superset of xjed ones.

> Currently I am supporting exotic things like Ctrl-Shift-KP_Home,
> but this will probably not be on any standard list...

Providing all "exotic" multiple-modifier-strang-key combinations will
bloat jed and slowdown the startup.

Provide the means to set up such keys instead (and document it).
So I hope, fljed comes with an fl_set_keysym().

x_set_keysym(), unfortunately doesnot allow multiple modifieres, so the
Key_Shift_Control_Right for "mark next word" in CUA mode is impossible to
set.

Guenter

--
G.Milde web.de