Re: Roadmap for 0.99-17

John E. Davis spake unto us the following wisdom:
> The roadmap to 0.99-18 release will involve at least one more
> 0.99-17 release after I add unicode font support to Xjed.  There are
> several other minor issues that I would like to see resolved or at
> least documented for 0.99-18.  These include:
>
>    1.  How well is unicode (UTF-8) handled?  Unfortunately, I am
>        unable to answer this question since everything I edit is 7-bit
>        ASCII.  Does anyone on this list use jed in UTF-8 mode?

I always use jed in UTF-8 mode, and periodically edit non-ASCII text
(primarily cyrillic and Japanese, although sometimes others).  I would
not call my usage comprehensive by any means, but I have not had
trouble with it.  In a UTF-8 capable terminal it seems to gracefully
double-wide characters and simple combining diacriticals, which are
all I ever ask of it.

> I imagine that adding unicode font support to Xjed will not be
> difficult, but will take some time to research the appropriate X11
> interface.  Hopefully I will find time to do this in the next few
> weeks and then make another 0.99-17 snapshot available.

It is my understanding that getting combining characters, bidi
rendering, etc. correct are actually quite difficult.  Good luck.  :-)

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.