Re: Read only files.

On 1 sept. 05, at 04:42, John E. Davis wrote:

Misha Gorodnitzky <misaka@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I noticed that when editing a file owned by root that has read-only
permissions only, mode 0444, jed doesn't seem to emit a warning or
any kind of signal to indicate this. Is there a way to get jed to
signal when I'm editing a file like this?

When editing such a file, "%%" should appear on the left part of the
buffer's status line.  Also, any change that you try to make to the
buffer should result in a "Buffer is read only!" error message.  Do
you see either of these indications?

Not as root I don't. Only when the file is truly un-writable, such as when I edit a 0444 file as a non-privileged user, jed does as you say. I'm using 0.99.16, by the way, I don't have 0.99.17 anywhere to try out.

Thanks for the reply,

--M