Re: highlight rule in every mode

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 05:08:56PM +0000, Joerg Sommer wrote:
> "John E. Davis" <davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Joerg Sommer <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>is it possible to have an highlighting rule in every mode? I would like
> >>to see trailing whitespaces everywhere. Do I need to patch every mode to
> >>support trailing_whitespace?
> >
> > Using:
> >
> >    Highlight_Trailing_Whitespace = 1;
> >
> > in your .jedrc file should have this effect.
>
> Does this work with dfa highlighting? I think no. If I enable dfa systax
> highlighting, the trailing whitespaces aren't marked.

This leads to yet more questions:

1. Should I be using dfa syntax/highlighting?  Why?   Jörg seems to
   be right.  I called "use_dfa_syntax(1);", and trailing spaces
   are no longer highlighted.  I thought I was using dfa syntax
   highlighting.  Should I have it turned on my default? Why?  How
   do I do that?

   I don't see any option in the ./configure file or any default
   in the sample jedrc.

2. In Text mode (textmode.sl), highlighting extends to the right
   edge of the window, even when there are only one or two
   trailing blanks on that line.  Is there a way to fix that?

   Does this have something to do with the fact that there are no
   syntax rules nor highlighting rules in textmode.sl?  I tried
   copying some syntax rules from texcom.sl, but they did not seem
   to have any effect, possibly because I don't know enough to do
   that properly.

3. How do I generate the DFA syntax table for a single file.  I'd
   like to do this for a .sl file in my personal jed directory.
   Can I do this? I tried:

       jed -batch -n -l preparse

   but got errors like the following:

       ~/a1/Source/Jed/Testlib [48] jed -batch -n -l preparse
       /usr/local/jed/lib/site.slc: unable to open
       Traceback: byte_compile_file
       /usr/local/jed/lib/bytecomp.sl:24:jed_byte_compile_file:Open failed
         Local variables for jed_byte_compile_file:
               String_Type f = "site.sl"
               String_Type file = "/usr/local/jed/lib/site.sl"
       /usr/local/jed/lib/bytecomp.sl:150:<top-level>:Open failed
       Traceback: evalfile
       /usr/local/jed/lib/preparse.sl:2:<top-level>:Open failed
       Traceback: evalfile

   Does the preparse script only work in the jed/lib directory
   where jed is installed?  I also use jed on an Internet my
   account, and I do not have write-access to the directory where
   jed is installed there.

4. I notice that when I run "jed -batch -n -l preparse" in my
   jed/lib directory, it generates .dfa files for some modes
   listed in preparse.sl, but not for others.  For example, it
   generates pymode.dfa, but not perl.dfa, even though perl.sl
   and other files listed in preparse.sl) seems to have code for
   syntax tables.  Why is that?

I'm using Jed B0.99.17-111 (which I build from source) on Debian
GNU/Linux.

Thanks for any enlightenment.

Dave

--