Re: screen redraw...any way to turn it off?

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 06:00:57PM -0400, John E. Davis wrote:
> > Dave Kuhlman <dkuhlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >I do from the command line). Why?  What controls this?  Do I need
> > >to learn about termcap in order to understand this behavior?

This is what xterm & co. call the "alternate screen". Quoting
from the manual:

       In VT102 mode, there are escape sequences to activate and deactivate an
       alternate screen buffer, which is the same size as the display area  of
       the  window.   When activated, the current screen is saved and replaced
       with the alternate screen.  Saving of lines scrolled off the top of the
       window is disabled until the normal screen is restored.  The termcap(5)
       entry for xterm allows the visual editor vi(1) to switch to the  alter-
       nate  screen  for  editing  and to restore the screen on exit.  A popup
       menu entry makes it simple to switch between the normal  and  alternate
       screens for cut and paste.

And then there is a resource:

       titeInhibit (class TiteInhibit)
               Specifies  whether or not xterm should remove ti and te termcap
               entries (used to switch between alternate screens on startup of
               many  screen-oriented  programs)  from  the TERMCAP string.  If
               set, xterm also ignores the escape sequence to  switch  to  the
               alternate  screen.  Xterm supports terminfo in a different way,
               supporting composite control sequences (also known  as  private
               modes)  1047,  1048  and 1049 which have the same effect as the
               original 47 control sequence.  The default for this resource is
               ``false.''

So I tried this:

   xterm -xrm "*.titeInhibit: true" &

snd voilá, it worked. The new xterm has no alternate screen capability.
Probably gterm or whatever will have something equivalent; otherwise, is a
matter of finding the "offending" escape sequences and remove them form the
terminfo entry.

                HTH, Romano

--
Romano Giannetti             -  Univ. Pontificia Comillas (Madrid, Spain)
Electronic Engineer - phone +34 915 422 800 ext 2416  fax +34 915 596 569