Re: screen redraw...any way to turn it off?

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 06:00:57PM -0400, John E. Davis wrote:
> Dave Kuhlman <dkuhlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >I do from the command line). Why?  What controls this?  Do I need
> >to learn about termcap in order to understand this behavior?
>
> Some terminals need the initialization string to enable arrow keys, etc.
> What version of linux are you using?

I'm on Debian Ubuntu Linux 5.04 : The Hoary Hedgehog Release.

> If you are using xterm under debian, then try
>
>    export TERM=xterm-debian
>
> or one of the other xterm-variants in /etc/terminfo/x/.

I tried the following:

  517  export TERM=xterm-debian
  518  xterm &
  519  export TERM=xterm-color
  520  xterm &
  521  export TERM=xterm-mono
  522  xterm &
  523  export TERM=xterm-xfree86
  524  xterm &

All showed the same behavior.  When I exit from jed, the screen
contents from before starting jed are re-displayed.  This, by the
way, is the behavior that I'd prefer, but do not have under gterm,
though since I've been happy without it, it's hard to whine
much.

However, the original poster, I believe, wants the behavior that I
have under gterm (jed's screen stays on the screen when I exit
jed).  I've looked, but have not found any gterm option that would
have an effect on this behavior.

Note that I'm happy the way things are.  I'm only posting on this
to provide information and to try to help.

Dave

--
Dave Kuhlman
http://www.rexx.com/~dkuhlman