Re: Esc-q and new line / line feed chars

On  3.05.05, Jack McDermot wrote:
> Hi Joerg,
>
> >Do you mean Windows people?
>
> Nope, they are running Solaris.

But still they are running deficient software (or they simply do not know
the correct settings/commands).

> As Guenter pointed out before, the trouble is the presence of any
> newline character at the end of "visual" (on screen) lines. When the
> layout people import it into their stuff they complain that the text is
> jagged, ie that lines don't wrap as they want them to because
> paragraphs contain newlines.

> If there's no built-in way around this

No. As these long nonbreaking lines make editing and reading especially
hard (as you know), "the right thing" is to use line-breaks for line
breaks and something else for paragraph breaks. A common convention in
emails (and a language feature in e.g. LaTeX and rst) is to use an empty
line (i.e. ("\n\n" as opposed to "\n").

> I'll probably end up trying to code a save hook as suggested.

Unfortunately, a save hook is somewhat unspecific and you might end up
saving your mails or LaTeX source or C programs in an undesired format.

I'd rather recommand a specific save_buffer_one_line_paragraphs() (or
some better name) function that does this conversion and saves the
buffer.

This can be bound to a key or called from the minibuffer.

If the files in question have a specific extension (or some other
distinctive feature), you can also create a mode for editing them that
rebinds the key used for save_buffer to your new function (e.g. using
rebind() from jedmodes.sf.net/mode/bufutils/).

You might think about a find_file_one_line_paragraphs() function that
reformats all paragraphs after reading (or just do this reformat in the
<your-mode>_mode() command) too.

G.Milde web.de