Re: Is anyone having FTP problems from space.mit.edu?

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm having FTP problems trying to download anything from space.mit.edu
> to my linux box.  I noticed this during my recent attempts to download
> slang2, although it seems to happen with anything else on the
> space.mit.edu site, as well.  I get anywhere from 400,000 to 660,000
> bytes, and then the transfer just hangs forever.

Yes, I had the same problem with stock Debian kernels 2.6.8 and 2.6.9,
whereas I could fetch from space.mit.edu with kernel 2.6.7. My setup for
the three kernels is absolutely identical, so I surmise that it might be
something that has broken between kernels 2.6.7 and 2.6.8, possibly in
the driver module for my NIC. It is only a wild guess, though, but the
problem persisted even if I disabled and cleared my firewall completely,
so therefore I would not suspect iptables to be the culprit. I am using
the 8139too module for my NIC. What module are you using?

Morten