Re: Preserving trailing whitespace?

I found out why this happens.  I found this in src/cmds.c ...

  /*{{{ eol_cmd */
  int eol_cmd (void)
  {
     eol();
     if ((0 == (CBuf->flags & READ_ONLY))
  #if JED_HAS_LINE_ATTRIBUTES
         && (0 == (CLine->flags & JED_LINE_IS_READONLY))
  #endif
         )
       jed_trim_whitespace();
     return(1);
  }

Is there any way to change this so that the call of
jed_trim_whitespace() can be conditionally disabled in eol_cmd?

At Fri, 19 Nov 2004 21:30:13 -0500,
Lloyd Zusman wrote:

> CORRECTION: I made a mistake, and Highlight_Trailing_Whitespace indeed
> works.  So you can ignore everything that I wrote about that, below.
>
> However, I still am having the problem with trailing whitespace
> disappearing per steps 1-8 below.
>
> With Highlight_Trailing_Whitespace set, I can see the white space
> disappear at step 5.  In fact, it goes away even if I leave out step 6.
>
> I want to have the option of preserving trailing white space, and if I
> choose to do so, I'd always like the cursor to be positioned _beyond_
> this trailing space if I position to the end of the line.
>
> Is this possible in jed?
>
> Thanks.
>
> P.S. -- The reason I want this is because sometimes, trailing whitespace
>         is significant.  For example, when using Markdown, the way to
>         specify that lines not be wrapped is to put at least two spaces
>         at the ends of these lines.
>

> At Fri, 19 Nov 2004 21:22:11 -0500,
> Lloyd Zusman wrote:
> >
> > I'm using version B0.99.17, and I'm noticing that trailing white space
> > sometimes disappears.  What I mean is this:
> >
> > 1. Open a file with jed.
> > 2. Go to an arbitrary line.
> > 3. Append some white space to the end.
> > 4. Go somewhere else in the file and make other changes.
> > 5. Position back to the original line and go to the end.  The cursor
> >    will be positioned after the final character as if no white space
> >    exists.
> > 6. Cursor down a few lines.
> > 7. Save and exit.
> > 8. View the file in some other editor.  The line where the trailing
> >    white space was added no longer contains any trailing white space.
> >
> > However, if I only do steps 1, 2, 3, 7, and 8, the trailing white space
> > remains.
> >
> > I have put "Highlight_Trailing_Whitespace = 1;" in my initialization file,
> > and I have the following in my color setup file:
> >
> >   set_color("trailing_whitespace", "white", "blue");
> >
> > However, I don't see the trailing white space in any case.
> >
> > But even if I could see this white space, it seems to disappear at
> > random times after I save the file.
> >
> > So, there are two separate but related issues here:
> >
> > 1.  White space at the end of lines sometimes goes away when I
> >     save the file.
> >
> > 2.  Highlight_Trailing_Whitespace doesn't seem to work.
> >
> > Is any of this familiar to anyone?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > --
> >  Lloyd Zusman